Archive for Pauline Alice Malvarosa

End of Summer Malvarosa

After making my first Malvarosa I knew I wanted to make another… with a few changes. No good pattern left unchanged (should be my motto).

First order of business was to pick up some fabric. I headed to Stonemountain & Daughter with “2 yds rayon print” on my shopping list. The bright cobalt blue of this print caught my eye. Later I realized this looks very similar to the fabric that Caroline used for her Saltspring dress. Is it the same?

Malvarosa

The changes: I wanted a sleeveless dress so I started by switching out the top of the Malvarosa bodice for Butterick 3383 (view C). I have a rayon tank made from B3383 and love the fit so this was an easy choice. I used a bias binding for the neck and armscyes as I’m not a huge fan of facings. Since the rayon is pretty slippery I used a cotton-silk fabric to make the bias tape which makes things a bit easier. I opted to leave out the pockets since I figured the rayon would make droopy pockets. I also shortened the bodice about 1/2″.

Malvarosa

I’m still enjoying the drop waist silhouette and this dress has gotten lots of wear during hot summer days. Looking forward to making another one for fall. Maybe in plaid with short sleeves?

Details: Butterick 3383 (view C) sz XS neck through armscyes combined with Malvarosa sz 34 on top graded to 36 at bust and 38 at waist; shortened the skirt by 2 inches; shortened the bodice by 1/2″; bias binding instead of facings

Malvarosa Satisfaction

I recently made the Pauline Alice Cami dress. When I purchased the pattern online there was a Paypal glitch and I accidentally paid for it twice. Pauline contacted me and offered a refund or a second pattern. Gee, tough choice! (And excellent customer service.) I decided on the Malvarosa dress since I’ve had drop waist dresses on my mind.

Once I had the pattern I printed it out, taped it up… and needed to sew it immediately.

Malvarosa in Teal Rayon-Linen

I did make a quick muslin to check dart placement before I got to work on the dress. I don’t think I made any adjustments to the dart or armscye, though I shortened the skirt a little. I stayed true to the pattern and included the pockets and adorable cap sleeves. It came together really easily and I wore it right away.

Malvarosa in Teal Rayon-Linen

I am delighted with this dress. The pockets are great, the loose fit feels very summery – especially in linen, and the shape is really fun. And I already made another one!

Details: sz 34 on top graded to 36 at bust and 38 at waist; shortened the skirt by 2 inches