Archive for Madewell Inspired

Rachel Comey Inspired Peplum Top

This project was inspired by this fantastic boxy peplum top by Rachel Comey. It spoke to me for so many reasons: the gathered peplum is only in the front – the back is straight, so not too much poof, a boxy fit and casual vibe, girly but not too girly… also love that color – anyone know where I can get my hands on some lavender silk CDC?

Rachel Comey Inspired Peplum Top

This top started me on a boxy gathered peplum inspiration binge – just check out my fall sewing pinterest board if you want to see more! Or take a look at the lovely pepruffle top that Lisa at notes from a mad housewife made.

Rachel Comey Inspired Peplum Top

I used Butterick 3383 as my starting point. I cut the bodice pieces at the shorten/lengthen line and added a gathered rectangle to the front and a flat rectangle to the back and I lengthened the sleeves a little (wrinkles are optional). A pretty easy pattern hack.

Rachel Comey Inspired Peplum Top

I intended this as a test of the pattern hack so the fabric is a sage green tencel twill that I reclaimed from another project. I had to piece together several sections for the front peplum since there was barely enough fabric. In the end I love it and have been wearing it constantly. The next one is almost done!

Details: B3383 sz XS shortened at the shorten line, gathered rectangle added to front, flat rectangle added to back, sleeves lengthened about 2″

Scout Swing Tank

Another Grainline Scout pattern hack! I’m getting so much mileage out of this pattern. The inspiration for this top started with the Madewell Scout tutorial that Jen posted. I decided to mix it up a little and use it to create my own version of a different Madewell top. There are an awful lot of Madewell tops on my pinterest boards to choose from!


I slashed & spread the pattern to create the swing shape and cut in around the shoulders a bit more than on my previous Scout tank hack. I used Madewell Scout variation tutorial for the split neck. I also brought the length up a little.


I picked up the fabric from the sale floor at Stonemountain & Daughter. It’s a cotton jacquard with an interesting loose weave. The print is both loud and a floral – not my usual style. This was intended as a wearable muslin but I’ve ended up wearing it quite a bit. I’ve also made another version in a black yarn-dyed linen which I’ll tell you about when I get a picture.


Details: a little fuzzy – started with the Scout in sz 0, added 4″ width to the bottom of the front and back, shortened by 1″, cut in the shoulders, brought the neckline up and added a bias bound slit to the neck

Madewell Inspired

I made this dress last fall and it’s always a pleasure to wear it. I even got a compliment when we were out taking these pictures.

Striped Red Dress

This was inspired by a red and white striped dress from Madewell. It wasn’t too hard to find a pattern to use as the base – this is New Look 6223 but there are loads of remarkably similar patterns. I made a few modifications to mimic the Madewell dress including cutting the top on the cross-grain to get the contrast stripes and lining the pleats up with the stripes in the skirt.

Tracking down the right striped fabric took a little longer. At the time I was still finding new (to me) fabric stores in the bay area. On my first visit to A Verb for Keeping Warm I spotted this from across the room and knew it would be perfect. It’s a bottom weight canvas and definitely heavier than the Madewell version but it works pretty well with the pleated skirt and didn’t need a lining.

Striped Red Dress Pocket

It’s been a while but I recall that fitting went reasonably well… It did take some time to line up all the stripes and work out the pleats in the skirt. The floral pockets are a fun detail – one of the perks of sewing!

Details: New Look 6223, size 10 graded to 12 at waist; lowered darts; pleats were adjusted to match the stripes; front & back neckline gaping was reduced by adjusting the shoulders and taking in along the zipper