This dress was inspired by two things: a favorite non-maternity dress I made a few years ago (and wear all the time – even now!), and this dress made by the fabulous Megan Nielsen. I wanted something comfortable, expandable and that still felt like me.
I started with the plantain top by Deer & Doe and used a sz 38 with a little extra room added to the bust. I shortened the bodice and added a slight curve to the front. The skirt is just a gathered rectangle that is a bit higher in the front so it matches the curve in the bodice. I made the skirt panels as wide as I could and then gathered them by sewing them on to some 3/8″ elastic I had handy. The fabric is heavy and has a lot of stretch, so I hoped this would keep the waist from stretching out of shape. The dress has short sleeves and I finished the neck with a narrow band and the skirt with a double needle hem.
The fabric is a really soft bamboo jersey from Stonemountain. I love this fabric for the softness, recovery and drape. In fact my favorite pair of Watson bikinis are made out of scraps from a previous project and I was hoping to make some more. Sadly, there were not enough scraps left from this dress…
I wore this to my baby shower a couple weeks ago (thanks to my awesome sisters for throwing it!) and am very happy to have this dress in my closet now. It’s nice to have something that fits my current proportions – amazing how good that feels. I expect it will be with me to the end now that there are just 2 more months to go! I’m linking up with Gray All Day’s Sew it Chic – check it out.
Thank you for the congratulations on Baby Pinned and the sympathies for sewing my finger! Over the last few weeks I started to outgrow many of my favorite handmade clothes and I really miss them. My enthusiasm for imagining and planning maternity sewing projects has definitely been greater than my energy, but I have managed to make one maternity top. And I have been wearing it A LOT!
This top is based on the Rachel Comey inspired peplum top I made last fall. I modified it in two ways to make it maternity friendly. First, I curved the peplum in the front like this Megan Nielsen dress. I raised the center of the bodice and peplum up 2 inches and drew a curve to connect back to the original length at the side. I might try raising it a little more next time although it’s kind of tough to decide how much room my belly needs and how much room my boobs need! Second, I added 4 inches in length to make it long enough to wear with leggings now and hopefully accommodate a growing bump for at least a couple more months. Other than that the only changes were to go sleeveless and top stitch the gathered peplum.
The fabric is a linen-rayon blend, I believe the Robert Kaufman Brussels Washer blend. It’s soft and has some body and a nice drape. Also it was handy in the stash! As before the back of this top is not gathered which makes it great for layering and keeps it feeling a little sleeker.
I’m taking advantage of my blog to track my growing bump, so here’s a glamour shot of the belly at four months. Not too impressive yet, but it certainly feels different than normal!
Details: Butterick 3383 sz XS, cut at the shorten line for the bodice, gathered rectangle added to the front, flat rectangle added to the back – both lengthened 4″, bodice/peplum both curved up 2″ at the center front, neck and arm scyes finished with bias binding, top stitched peplum seam allowance
Happy New Year! This was one of my last projects of 2014. I’ve been really craving a boxy blue buffalo plaid top after seeing this Creatures of Comfort shirt at Steven Alan.
This is my fourth Simplicity 1366 (here’s my first). I love this pattern. I made a few changes: adjusted the neckline to be narrower and deeper, lowered the armscye a little, lengthened by 1/2″ and used Grainline’s bias binding method.
The plaid flannel is from JoAnns. I used the “wrong” side of the fabric so it would be less fuzzy.
I thought this shirt deserved some extra attention so I tried out some iron-on rayon seam binding that I inherited from my grandmother’s stash. It was quick and easy to do and has held up well. I’ll be using this technique again soon.
Details: Simplicity 1366, sz 8, 1/2″ longer, brought in neckline by 1/4″ on each side, lowered neckline 1/4″, lowered armscye 1/4″, lengthened by 1/2″, used bias binding for neckline