I’ve been admiring shift dresses and t-shirt dresses and wanted to make one. I tried the Colette Laurel pattern, but it wasn’t meant to be – lots of fit issues to address. Since I wanted a more instant-gratification project, I decided to use the Scout Tee as the base for a dress. There was no shortage of online inspiration for turning the Scout into a dress.
I lengthened the Scout tee pattern about 12 inches (I think) and kept the slightly curved hem. I used a fairly stiff red cotton ikat print. Once it was sewn together I wasn’t satisfied with the shape. I thought a couple of darts in the back would help define the waist, but there were a few wrinkles and it didn’t seem quite right. So I consulted with my local sewing expert (thanks Mom). We played around with the shape, pinning in a few darts where the fabric was creasing and taking in the sides a bit. I tweaked the darts a few more times and ended up with two darts in the back and four in the front; two below the waist and two below the bust.
My dress fits now and I really like the way it turned out. Enough to go out in public looking for scenic backdrops!
Notes to self:
– Darts aren’t so scary, and I will be much more confident about adding and adjusting in future projects.
– Darts affect the length — the dress is 3-4 inches shorter with the darts. Next time I’ll give myself a little more length to worth with.
– Stiff cotton does not make a drapey dress. A good reminder. 😉
Details: size 0, lowered armscye, size 2 sleeve, lengthened shirt by 12″, added 6 darts for shaping